Tampa Divorce & Family Law Attorneys
Richard J. Mockler is experienced in all phases of litigation, including discovery, motion practice, evidentiary hearings, trial, and appeal. Richard started his legal career in Miami, where he worked at two of the nation’s most prestigious national law firms. Richard has been involved in high-stakes litigation matters for many of America’s most well-known businesses and financial institutions. Richard has defended public companies and their officers and directors in connection with class actions lawsuits, derivative actions, and federal investigations. Richard has worked on several matters that received national media coverage and a number of cases with more than $100 million at stake.
Since 2008, Richard has focused the majority of his practice on family law matters. In the family law arena, Richard devotes much of his time representing men and women in cases involving complex financial issues, disputes over the control and valuation of closely held companies, child custody disputes, relocation requests, and military divorces.
Richard currently serves on the Executive Counsel of the Family Law Section of the Hillsborough County Bar Association. Richard is also a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator. Richard has been selected by his peers and recognized as a Florida Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine. He was previously recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star for Florida for 4 consecutive years.
Richard attended the University of Florida College of Law, where he graduated with honors. In 1998, he was the Chester Ferguson Scholarship Recipient. Richard was also a member of the International Moot Court Team and participated in the William C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot. Additionally, Richard served as a Teaching Assistant for Legal Research and Writing and Appellate Advocacy.
Richard was also a leader on campus, where he was elected President of the Law School's Student Bar Association. He also served on the Executive Board of the University of Florida's Law College Council. Prior to graduation, Richard was inducted into the Florida Blue Key leadership honorary, received the University of Florida Presidential Recognition Award, received the Levin College of Law Pro Bono Certificate, and was named the Levin College of Law 2000 Student of the Year.
In 2002, Richard earned his Master of Laws in Taxation from the University of Florida’s Graduate Tax Program. The Graduate Tax Program is widely recognized as one of the nation's best.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Richard served as a United States Marine with the 4th Assault Amphibian Battalion in Tampa, Florida. Richard was the Battalion Embarkation Specialist prior to the Unit's mobilization to Iraq for Operation Iraqi Freedom. Richard received the Navy Achievement Medal for his exemplary efforts to prepare his battalion to embark for combat. Richard was also recognized as the Honor Graduate during his training at the Naval Expeditionary Warfare College, Atlantic. Richard also received the Outstanding Community Service Medal, National Defense Medal, Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal, and a Marine Corps Certificate of Commendation for exemplary community service. Richard's military experience helps him relate to military service members and families.
- All Florida State Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
- Southern District of Florida
- Middle District of Florida
- Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
Classes and Seminars Taught
- Trial Advocacy in Family Law Cases, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Developing Parenting Plans for Children with Developmental Disorders
- Discovery of Medical Records and Trial of Cases Involving Medical Evidence, Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Preparing Your Family Law Case for Trial, Hillsborough County Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star, by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine (2009-2012)
- Selected as a Florida Super Lawyer, by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine (2013-2015)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section
- Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Florida Bar Business Law Section
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Cheatwood Inn of Court
- Tampa Family Law Inn of Court
- HCBA Executive Board - Family Law Section
If you have questions and would like to have a consultation with Richard J. Mockler, please contact us today at (813) 331-5699.